When it comes to skincare, you don’t have to look all over. There are several natural vegetables and fruits available that can give you healthy skin. Out of all these, the most effective and potent natural ingredient readily available at home is tomatoes. Many people wonder, is tomato good for skin? Tomatoes are packed with vitamins, nutrients, and minerals that can give you clean and clear skin. One of the benefits of tomato for skin is that it helps repair damaged skin and restore its natural glow.
Lycopene Benefits for the Skin
- The distinctive bright red colour of tomato is due to the presence of lycopene, a carotenoid pigment.
- It is a natural, potent antioxidant that helps to get rid of free radicals in the body.
- It stabilises the DNA structure in the nucleus of skin cells and prevents skin ageing.
- Being a powerful antioxidant, lycopene in tomatoes prevents skin photodamage, too.
Nutrient Value of TomatoesTomato is a rich source of vitamins, nutrients, and minerals, which are required for healthy and glowing skin. Vitamins found in Tomatoes
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin K
- Vitamin B9
- Dietary fibres
Top Benefits of Tomato for Skin:
Reduces Oiliness from the Skin
- Excessive oil production is a common problem in individuals with oily and acne-prone skin.
- One of the key tomato benefits for skin is that it maintains the pH balance of the skin.
- Being naturally acidic, it combats excessive oil production from the sebaceous glands.
- It prevents excessive oil build-up and is great for balancing oily skin.
Soothes the SkinTomatoes are rich in anti-inflammatory compounds. These include:
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Beta carotene
Promote Wound HealingOn average, tomatoes contain 13–15 mg of vitamin C per 100 g. The vitamin C component present in tomatoes makes them effective in healing wounds by promoting the growth of new skin cells.
Removes Dead Skin
- Another benefit of tomato for the skin is that it helps in exfoliation, which removes dead skin cells.
- Tomatoes have enzymes that aid the skin’s exfoliation process slowly.
- The uneven and dead skin containing clogged pores is replaced by soft, clean, and naturally glowing skin.
Reduces Acne and Pimples
- If you have oily and acne-prone skin, the benefits of tomato for skin are great.
- Tomatoes are a natural and chemical-free way to reduce acne and pimples on the face.
- Because tomato juice is acidic (pH =4.4), it has antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- Tomatoes keep the skin well hydrated and suppress the production of oil from the skin.
Some of the other Benefits of Tomatoes for the Skin include:
- Tightens the skin pores
- Fights cellular damage
- Acts as a skin coolant
- Treats dry skin
- It gets rid of tan and blackheads
- Anti-ageing effect